Few television programmes make the same production demands as Doctor Who. With such diverse settings as distant points in Earth’s history and alien civilisations in the far future, the series has always stretched the ingenuity – and resources – of its talented costume designers.
The latest Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition features numerous rare and previously unpublished illustrations showing how the look of an episode evolves from sketch to screen, plus exclusive interviews with the following designers:
• Lee Bender (owner of the Bus Stop boutique, which supplied outfits for Sarah Jane Smith)
• Howard Burden (designer of the Twelfth Doctor’s costume)
• Ray Holman (designer of the Eleventh and Thirteenth Doctor’s costumes, and Doctor Who’s current costume designer)
• June Hudson (designer of the Fourth Doctor’s final outfit and numerous costumes for Romana)
• Barbara Lane (The Claws of Axos, The Dæmons, The Curse of Peladon etc)